Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Restoring the Olentangy

Post by Christina Miller ENR 2300 (SU 2013)

When I started working on the OSU campus one year ago, one of my favorite things to enjoy was the river. I would walk over it every day on my way to and from work and I always had time to stop and try to spot wildlife. Anytime someone needed an errand run across campus I would gladly volunteer. I spent many lunch hours down by the water.  I have seen many turtles, fish and birds and this sometimes was the highlight of my day.

Imagine my surprise when one day last fall I came to work and the water level was about half that of normal. I noticed construction fence but I thought they were fixing the trail or something. When I realized that I wasn't going to see my favorite group of turtles sunbathing in the same spot every day I was really upset. I assumed that the city was moving the water for some kind of construction.

Thankfully I found articles that explained how the dam removal would spark a huge over hall of the water systems and wildlife habitat, actually restoring wetlands in the riparian areas and making way for more natural environment to flourish. THANK GOODNESS!

If anyone else is not aware of this close to home construction they should know what is really going on. I had to look up what was going on because I was so attached to that environment but there may be some people who dont even know the area.

Here's the link to the article.

1 comment:

  1. The government's attempt at restoring the Lower Olentangy Basin is a noble one. Although you mention that the turtles are not here anymore, this act has paved the way for a much varied variety of animals to co-exist and depend on nature as much as humans do.

    ReplyDelete